Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Philip Taaffe, paintings

firend and colleague Ellen Hart re-introduced me to Philip Taaffe.  she thought of me in connection with his work for obvious reasons.  several years ago i took a pretty close look at his work and for the life of me I can't figure out why i was not much interested.

these are images i found on the web.  there are paintings i like better but these are representative.  he uses silk screens to repeat his repeated motifs.  naturally i love the layers.  and the complexity and the delicacy. 

it seems to me that his motifs work as signifiers.  he has been connected with neo-geo, based on his use, in some of his work, of non-western-european motifs such as arabic caligraphy and hispano-moorish designs.

taaffe has a great website:

philip taaffe


















No comments:

Post a Comment